Life changes

Yesterday was the day I finally caught up with my workload, so it is possible that you might be seeing me with a little more regularity.  I ended up getting behind in my longarming due to t-ball and my husband’s work obligations combined with my own.  Normally, I quilt about two quilts a week (and if I need to squeeze in a third, I usually can), but lately, I’ve only been able to do one each week.

I started reflecting on my quilting.  I bought the longarm to elevate the level of my quilts… but am I doing it?  Sadly, I am not.  I only have time to stipple my quilts (and honestly, I do love stippling, but I sure am not going to be able to ever enter a quilt show with a stippled quilt!), while I spend a lot of time doing fancier quilting for other people.  So I found myself at a crossroads.  I no longer have the time to run my household, work full-time teaching (and running the gifted/talented program at my school), be the parent that I need to be, and have a hobby that isn’t really just a hobby.

Our schools across the nation are in trouble.  In Texas, though, the schools are really in deep shit, financially speaking.  There was a time when I was concerned if I would even have a job with our district, so I started thinking about Plan B.  And it started sounding pretty good.  And then I found out that I was going to keep my job, but lose a couple thousand dollars in pay plus lose my work partner (and thus have to run our program solo).  At that point, Plan B was much more appealing than Plan A.

So here I am.  I will soon be clipping coupons (and actually having to use them) and living life on a strict budget… but I will get to do so much more.  I might pick up a class or two to teach at the local community college.  I’ve been asked to do contract work for the district conducting GT staff developments.  I’m going to join the Gifted/Talented Advisory Council for my district, the fourth largest district in Texas.  I’m going to quilt your tops and mine the way I want them quilted, not what time dictates.  I’m going to keep a cleaner house and cook real meals (at least one a day!).  I’m also going to be here for my family.  My biggest fear is that I will wake up one day, and my child will be going to college, and then, for the first time in years, I’ll have the time to sit down for a real dinner, or to hang out at my son’s t-ball practice, or to go on a date with my husband, and there will be no one to share it with.  It’s scary to think of losing my income, but it is definitely an investment in the people I love.

9 Responses to Life changes

1. Brandi says:

That sounds amazing. And I love that you have such peace about it all. Wish I could’ve met up with you last week and hugged your neck. I can’t wait to see where this path leads you!

2. Kim says:

Great photo of the guys! Glad to hear you are coming up for air. I can’t wait to see you soar even higher in your quality and creative quilting. ThAnks for putting together a great quilt retreat.

3. Skye says:

You are absolutely making the right decision!! Time with your husband & son are THE priority. Life is too short to lose those precious moments to a frantic job. No way. You have a gift for quilting & longarming & life will lead you to fulfillments as yet undreamed of. Celebrating this choice with you!! xoxoxo

4. Love this post. I want to print it out and read it to myself everyday. Make time for my family right now. Really, Right. Now.

5. Way to go Danielle. I think you’ll find that it’s definitely the right decision (you already know that). By the way, WHAT are you feeding that child? I mean, he’s growing like a weed! And what a sweet picture, thanks for sharing. Talk soon!

6. It is amazing all the stuff we put before what is really important to us. I think this is a universal human trait and I congratulate you for noticing. I felt the pure determination in your post and know that once you accept the goodness that life is offering you, you will receive all of it.

7. suzanne mceachern says:

Love it………..and those 2 guys in our life!

8. Shanti Buttram says:

I love this, Danielle! Plan B sounds like an amazing plan, and so much more rewarding! Kudos to you…..your husband and your son are very lucky. Enjoying life is exactly what living is all about….not working against a clock or doing things “well” when they could be Fabulous!! This new chapter of your life will be such an adventure!! Love You So Much!!

9. Ellen says:

Danielle – I’ve been waiting to hear what your new plan would be, and I am very happy for you. It’s a courageous move that many people dream of but do not act on for one reason or another. Best of luck!