Craigslist, Take Two

We all know that there are treasures on Craigslist, and I reckon I’ve found another score.  I’ve been stalking Craigslist  for a Singer Featherweight.  Of course, I just recently realized I only had San Antonio set on my Craigslist alert application, so I expanded the territory and boom, I found a machine at a price I couldn’t refuse.

If you share DNA or live with me, you might be thinking that the last thing I need is another machine.  Wrong, I say!  Remember I’m an only child.  And because of that, I do not share well.  When I go to quilt retreats with my mom in Pioneer Woman country, I want to sew on my machine, not on one of her, albeit lovely, machines.  This summer, you know how I’m spending a week at Orange Beach? Oh, I didn’t mention it?  Well, I am, and we are staying in a condo on the beach, and I will be bringing a machine (especially since I now sew outside).  My husband doesn’t realize this, and I don’t plan to mention it, but since it comes in a cute, little black box-carrying-case-thingy, he’ll never notice until we’re there.  So there you have it, that’s why I need the machine– for travelling!

Unfortunately, it did not come with a manual, or oil, or feet, but the gold is pristine.  This little beauty has been sitting in (someone else’s) Grandma’s closet  for a long, long time, and her daughter sold it to me.

Do you have a featherweight?  If you have some advice for me, let me hear it.  I don’t really know where to start.  I’m not sure if I just just try to clean it up myself or pay to have it serviced? Can anyone (trained professional) work on these, or do I need to find someone who specialized in Featherweights?  Is there a particular message board I need to know about?  Does this machine like a particular kind of thread?  Is it true that I have to use the singer oil and can’t use my regular oil that I put in my other machines?  Discussion shall commence.

10 Responses to Craigslist, Take Two

1. Char says:

Wow, that’s beautiful. Sorry I can’t help you. Enjoy!

• Maria solis says:

If u don’t mine me asking what would be a price on something like this my mom pass in July and left me one just like your very well kept beautiful singer wish I know how to use this machine

2. Skye says:

Bad news first: I can’t remember which (of the dozens of catalogs I get) it is in…But!!Good new: there is a book & DVD set for Featherweights. Everything you need to know: it’s innerechanisms, how to service it yourself etc.
    It’s one of the thicker, small catalogs, like Sew Craft, or one of those…

3. suzanne says:

Dear Favorite Daughter: my advice is to not ever let go now that you have it……..ever. you can order a manual for FW from Keepsake Quilting. Consult with Mimi Hayes re: specialists, she has the answer and best advice.. I am so excited for you and the gold is even intact…….super. Love, mimi Hmmmmmmm, FW at OB cool.

4. Jackie says:

What a sweet find! I was helping a dear friend of mine clean out her Aunt’s house and found one of those little darlings hiding in a closet. I could not believe it! I was so excited. When I showed it to my friend, she said, ‘Well, if you like it that much, why don’t you just take it?’ I could not believe she was offering to give it to me! I explained their value and she said ‘Take it.” It made all the hard work worth it. I love my little feather weight. (although I’ll never understand why they call it that, they weigh a ton!) I hope you enjoy your new ‘baby’!

5. Kim says:

Fantastico! terrific! Yipee! Aawesome!
    I am so glad fo you!

6. Jennifer Dancy says:

There are GREAT you-tube videos about care and maintenance of featherweights. I bought one, but found better info online than in the dvd I purchased! My advice about extras: I’d get a 1/4 inch foot and some extra bobbins, and leave it at that! My featherweight actually likes the thread that my other machines (Necchi, Viking, Pfaff) don’t like….. Namely, C&C Star Cotton – My featherweight LOVES that stuff! I invested $2 in a spool adapter – and it works great. Those little machines are so care-free and easy, though, you can’t go wrong! Enjoy her – and be sure to give her a name really soon – they thrive when spoken to, kinda like plants! 🙂

7. Pingback: Elida’s Legacy | Nacho Mama's Quilt

8. DeDe says:

She’s a beauty!

9. Oh. Shut. Up. This is beautiful! Amazing. Absolutely Amazing. One day I hope to find a pink cursive typewriter on Craigslist….. and a featherweight. That might take a lot of wishing on the stars though. She’s so pretty! (Wait, is it a she? I don’t want to push gender specification on your new child or anything… but is it a girl?)