Aunt Ruth

My Aunt Ruth passed away last week, and during her funeral mass, I happened to look straight up in the steeple of the church, the church where she attended daily mass for most of the past thirty years or so, St. Pious X in New Orleans.

And I knew what I needed to do.  I needed to create something for the family.  Something to help us remember the spiritual legacy that Aunt Ruth left behind.  My new partner in crime, her oldest (of three) son’s girlfriend (who is also a longarm quilter– Hi, Jackie!) is going to work collaboratively with me on this.  Until we figure out our plan, I grabbed some fabric and sliced it up.

And then I threw them in a bag, grabbed a Diet Coke, and turned on Bravo.

And used some of the fabric piece by piece.  I set my timer for 15 minutes.  When my time was up, I started on a new block.  And here’s what I ended up with.

Like it?  How do the colors look?  I did saturate them a little with Picasa.  In real life, they are a little less expressive.  However, since the sun is on vacation elsewhere, I couldn’t get the color representation I hoped for.  What should we do next?  Keep going?  Scrap some of the fabrics?  Add more?  You two cents are appreciated!

10 Responses to Aunt Ruth

1. Jackie says:

Oh Danielle! I LOVE IT!!!! It is so representative of that beautiful window. I really love your color choices too. I think you are well on your way to creating another, much loved, masterpiece!

2. Anna says:

I love it! I love that it was inspired by the stain glass window in your Aunt Ruth’s church. That makes it a million times more special. Keep going, she’s probably looking down on you and guiding you along (even if you don’t realize it).

3. Skye says:

I love it a lot, especially the little highlights of orange. I think you are definitely on the right track. What a wonderful memorial! ❤

4. suzanne says:

You are right on track-cant wait see more!

5. Beautiful. Seriously. Beautiful.

6. Jessi says:

I saw it in person and loved it!

7. Pingback: Man quilt, yet again | Nacho Mama's Quilt

8. Toni Owens says:

Definitely on the right track. To capture the stained glass window effect, I would add more light fabric to the mix because I’m noticing that there is very little dark in that window.

9. Lee says:

Just scrolling back through your blog – I was wondering why you called that the Aunt Ruth quilt. What a perfect inspiration and a wonderful tribute to your aunt. Just beautiful! : )

10. Pingback: Improv T-shirt Quilt | Nacho Mama's Quilt