Finally, a quilt for my bed

Another big ol’ quilt is done.  Well, sorta.  It’s as done as it’s going to get until I have an attitude adjustment.  I have loaded this quilt three times, and this sucker is huge.  The first time I had to reload is because I was trying to conserve fabric, and I was an inch short on my backing.  The next time I reloaded it was to do the side borders because it’s easier to do the long border fabrics as one continuous line rather than having to advance it and make it choppy.  Well, instead of doing both of the borders at once, I had to keep stopping for silly stuff like cooking dinner, bathing the child, reading books, tucking the kid in bed, etc.  So when I finished one of the borders, I quickly unloaded it and started squaring it up.  And guess what?  I had only done 3 of the borders.  So, this un-quilted side will be on my husband’s side of the bed.  He’ll never notice.

So, anyway, I feathered the whole king-size quilt.  It took about 10 bobbins.  It probably took as long to quilt as it did to make the blocks.

The binding is pieced with my extra jelly roll strips.  I used a layer cake and a jelly roll to make the blocks.  The fabric is Tranquility by Moda, and I made the blocks at a mystery class (sorry- I can’t find the link to the old post  since I don’t tag anything), and put the blocks together at a retreat in December.

The best thing about this quilt (beside being done) is that my husband pointed out that I’ve made a gazillion quilts, and we have not one on any of our beds.  Now we do.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Finally, a quilt for my bed

1. Jessica says:

What a beautiful quilt. I love the colors.

2. carmel says:

i love your quilts
    theyare all beatiful!
    this one is amazing! and your bed room looks great!

3. Wendy says:

Way to go Danielle!
    Feels so good, doesn’t it.
    And it looks *really* good on your bed!
    =-)

4. Char says:

I love the quilt. I don’t have any of the quilts I’ve made on any beds in our house either. Not eve the guest room.

5. Debbi says:

Danielle< I can't wait to see you at our class on 6/19/10 here in Towanda with Mom. It is always a joy to see what you are doing and what you have gotten done. The quilt you put on your bed is beautiful. You are doing fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing both you and Ethan.

6. carmel says:

hi danielle
    thanks for visiting my blog
    the main reason that im not sewing is beacues 3 monthes ago we descoverd a very big whole under our rented house and we had to leave right away
    so up until now we havent found a new house to rent
    the rent rates got so high latly like 3-4 times higher then what we were paying so for now we are living in a 2 room apartment, serching for a normal home with a normal price…
    so as you know in order to cut and sew you need a permanent sewing spot- which i dont have at the moment
    and by the way. i have 3 little one’s 🙂
    hopefully soon this problem will be solved and i’ll sew again- hopefully..
    in my blog you can see pictures of those wholes
    and excuse my bad spelling, im from israel

7. Lisa says:

love the quilt for your bed- you are right- Seth wont even know except that you have already told him!!!
    So proud of you!! love ya!

8. Monika says:

Congrats on your own domain name!!

This quilt has gorgeous colours. Was it one fabric range or a whole heap of wonderful colours and fabric ranges all together?

Your feathering looks great too.

9. DeDe says:

Looks great on your bed but just finish it. You’re worth the time.